Saturday, September 25, 2010

A FRIEND IS ONE WHO STICKS LIKE A BROTHER … [An open letter to the core group of LOJ-Pilar]

September 10, 2010
10; 00PM

I always wanted to write you notes of thanks, affirmation, love, caring, or simply just tell you that you crossed my mind at a particular day, just like I used to often do. As far as I can remember, when you were asked to describe me using one adjective, most of you would choose ‘thoughtful’. And indeed, I was. When I was still studying in Manila, even though during weekends I am in Bataan to be with you, I still write you letters, kahit kahapon lang, maghapon naman na tayong magkakasama sa prayer meeting, at minsan, hanggang sa hapunan pa nga. And you write back. When I have some extra allowance, I buy small things like cards, posters, pamusod, anything, just to show you that I thought of you, that I appreciate you and your friendship.

I am already tucked in bed but can’t sleep. I am thinking of you, like I always do. You know I was not that close to my family. I have always assessed why I was not, and somehow I managed to answer why, and how I still wish and try to be close to them. You were and still are my second family. I have been with you since I was 14, and now that I am 18, [20 years ago], we are still together serving the Lord. Awesomeإ And I hope we grow old together [I don’t have someone yet to tell that to, kaya sa ‘yo na lang, hehehe]. You know my hurts, my pains, my dreams, my ‘sumpong’. You know my love story and how it will end up with the flies at the box office should it be made into a movie. You were there when I made huge mistakes and how I managed to get up, and how I still am trying to put things at their proper places. As an old cliché, if you want to know who your true friends are, make a mistake. You were there to fix my daughter’s broken bike, make a pulley so I won’t have to pay for therapy anymore and just do my own therapy to care for my broken humerus. You were there to bathe me because I cannot do it myself because of the cast in my arm. When someone somehow was unfair to me, you were there complaining for me because I was deeply hurt I do not have the energy anymore to complain for myself. You were there so I can have a shoulder to cry on. You sang to me ‘ sa isang ngiti ko lang, limot mo na’ whatever it is I did to upset you. You were there to help me find a job which I would later resign to because I cannot stand my boss. You were there to just make lambing to. You were there to lend me some money when I am so broke. You were there to give me my most loved ice cream flavor. You know how brave I was, and how I oftentimes use that courage in bringing myself to trouble. ;] And through most of my mala-Dawn Zulueta’s acting, you were there. And I guess, most of all, you know how much I love you. MARAMING MARAMING SALAMATإ

Beside those stuff, I am writing you today to tell you that I thank God enormously that He has made you part of my life, and how He has made me part of yours. I cannot imagine how our lives would be if we did not have one another. I believe our lives would never have been better without one another’s name on the cast. As we always said, ‘ONCE AN ILAW, ALWAYS AN ILAWإ’ Sometimes, it gets me to thinking that the line is insufficient just to describe how much we have loved one another as brothers and sisters. Today, maybe, we don’t see each other as often as I wish we could. And it makes me long for the old times. Kaso, mas tahimik na din naman talaga ako ngayon. Nagdalaga na kasi ;] … I suppose I cannot tell you many stories like I used to, I am more of a listener now, I presume. Or sometimes, I just like to think of all the things you say to me. Or maybe, sometimes, I wish you would just ask me how I am, and not just the ministry I handle. Deduce it to say, I guess I just miss you and all the light and happy moments together. Well, people grow, sometimes they grow together, and in some aspects, they grow apart. I deem it doesn’t really matter that much as long as we know deep in our hearts that we will remain special to one another. And we are the elders now; first and foremost, we have services to lovingly do. Should the time comes we will be the spectators, I hope we can have more time then to laugh together like we used to do. But for now, suffice it to say that precisely, this letter is all about you now being a leader. Do not fear that your rewards in heaven will be subtracted should I honor you now. Heaven has a lot of that in store for you, I’m sure. IN SPITE OF ALL THE TRIALS, HARDSHIPS, MISUNDERSTANDINGS, MISCOMMUNICATION, FATIGUE, PROBLEMS, YOU KEPT ON SERVING, UNDERSTANDING AND LOVING JUST THE SAME. DESPITE THAT, WE DEFINITELY HAD LOTS OF SMILES, LAUGHS AND LESSONS DOING OUR TASKS. And let me just tell you that with all the many companies I worked for, and all the different types of people I have met in my life, I have never worked with somebody as effective, creative, talented, committed, dedicated, and as much as loving as you. IT’S THE BIG DIFFERENCE. Press on…

Thank you for the love, service, brotherhood, and friendship…you will always be a special part of me, it’s one of your favorite songs, di ba ;] I LOVE YOUإ

No comments:

Post a Comment